[posted and mailed]

"Christina Haustrup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
3E0F5627.000003.00972@Min:">news:3E0F5627.000003.00972@Min:

> I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm quite new to the world of LyX, and
> now I've spent almost a day figuring out how to get this thing on the
> road. I have an up and running version of LyX, and I am using XWin32
> as an X-server. Everything seems to be working, except for the fact
> that Alt does not work as a Meta_L. I've checked the keybord
> configurations in XWin32, and they seem to be correct (Alt is mapped
> to Meta_L).

Does XWin32 come with a reasonably complete set of X utility programs?
(I switched away from XWin32 a few years back, and I've forgotten what it
had.)  If so, just to double check, please open an xterm window and type
'xmodmap -pm'. There should be a line saying 'mod1  Alt-L (0x40), Alt-R
(0x71)'.  If not, then your XWin32 setup is the problem.

If XWin32 doesn't have an xterm command (or doesn't have xmodmap),
perhaps you could crank up XWin32, then telnet to a Unix/Linux box, open
an xterm on your PC from that remote server, and run xmodmap from the
remote server.

I'm not positive, but I don't think the alternative keyboard files in LyX
allow you to remap the Meta keys themselves, so XWin32 is the logical
suspect.

-- Paul

Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone:    (517) 432-3509
Department of Management                       Fax:      (517) 432-1111
The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management    E-mail:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Michigan State University
http://www.msu.edu/~rubin/
East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE