The lyx-users page's Find link turns up the following message, which
seems not to appear in the chronological or thread index, and as far as
I can see was never answered:

     * From: Christoph Bugel
     * Subject: Scroll one line at a time
     * Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:28:16 -0800

     Is there a way to configure lyx to scroll only one line,
     when I am at the bottom of the screen and press the DOWN
     key?

     Thanks

There is a way to configure LyX to scroll only one line, but it has some
quirks:

1. The line the cursor is on is first jerked to mid-screen, except when
   at the top or bottom of the file. (The jerking to mid-screen is
   actually a great aid in finding LyX's easy-to-lose text cursor.)

2. The method works in writable documents but not in read-only files.
   This suggests to me that something (not this method of scrolling)
   needs to be fixed.

I have bound ^W (also known as C-w or Ctrl+w) to a sequence of functions
that results in line-by-line upward scrolling (well, the viewframe goes
up, or the text goes down; take your pick) and ^Z to a sequence that
results in line-by-line downward scrolling. Here are the relevant lines
from my bindings file (for LyX 1.2.1):

     \bind "C-w"     "command-sequence up; screen-recenter;"

     \bind "C-z"     "command-sequence down; screen-recenter;"

If the choice of keystrokes seems strange, don't worry about it. Those
keystrokes were used for viewframe scrolling by only 90-odd per cent of
microcomputer users for only half a dozen years or so, and then -- along
with all the other combinations of Ctrl and the letter keys -- ceased to
do anything at all in successful mass-market commercial software for the
next half a dozen years or so. But this means nothing at all, of course.

A happy Year of the Goat to all.

Dan Strychalski
Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C.
dski at (1) ndc dot com dot tw, (2) ms17 dot hinet dot net