--- "Joao B. Oliveira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thta is why I believe that making the conversion process a serial
> one would speed up things much more: memory is used for one image
> at a time and thus fills up only in extreme cases. No swap, no disk
> delays, etc...

I think it is better to simply have a function to add preview picture:
create a preview picture and put it aloneside the original one. User
specifies the resolution and other attributes of the preview pictures.
Only reconvert when the original has a timestamp more recent than the
preview picture.

No delay, no disk race, no memory comsumption ...  Why not?

Max