On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Joao B. Oliveira wrote:

> I think that adding nice to the conversion process is a good idea
> that can be done in a user-by-user basis, but I believe that one
> of the major problems of convert is its memory consumption. Adding
> nice would reduce the CPU consumption, but after a while memory
> will again fill up with imaegs being coverted.
>
> Thta is why I believe that making the conversion process a serial
> one would speed up things much more: memory is used for one image
> at a time and thus fills up only in extreme cases. No swap, no disk
> delays, etc...

You can always make your own converter command that causes the conversions
to run in series...  it could be done like this for instance:

You need a script, serialConvertServer.sh, that continuously reads a file
and if the file contains a non-empty line, it executes that line. (The
line should be a conversion command).

Then change the conversion rule to be:

        \convert png eps "serialConvert.sh $$i $$o"

where serialConvert.sh adds new assignements to a queue-file. The script
could also start serialConvertServer.sh if it isn't running. Then the
script should wait until the output exists, and when it exists it returns.

Perhaps there's even a ready made unix command that does these things?

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström, +46-8-790 91 37           http://www.md.kth.se/~chr
Mechatronics lab, Dept. of Machine Design        http://www.md.kth.se