On 2003-06-18, 07:13 GMT, Paco Cruz wrote:
> BS> It is a matter of patience and bells and whistles.  I have KDE 3.1.2
> BS> on a 486-66MHz, once you get passed the startup times and the few
> BS> seconds it takes to redraw a screen it is just fine...
>
> I  am  trying to convert a handful of this kind of PCs (plus P I, II
> and  Celerons) from W98 to Linux, but have not found a viable solution
> due to lack of RAM (they only have 32 Mb).

I am afraid, that Bruce either has plenty of RAM or his ``few seconds''
are severe understatement. With Pentium 120MhZ/64MB RAM it took more
than a minute to run kedit with KDE2. However, when I switched to plain
sawfish (no GNOME), then LyX was pretty useful. So it is possible to
run these things on Linux, you just have to trim down your software very
much down -- try to take a look at Small-Memory mini HOWTO (should be
part of every Linux distribution).

   Have a nice day,

      Matej

--