Yep Paul is right. There may be some extra latex options that you can use to get it cited in diferent ways. These can be seen in the .sty or bst file associated with the reference format. They generally look like

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@fcitenam}%
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
}

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@fciteasn}}%
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
}

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@[EMAIL PROTECTED]

lyx as standard puts \cite{my_book}. In ERT you may be able to put something like \citeasnoun{my_book}. From the GUI boxes in lyx it looks like the option to select these diferent types is coming but I assume since diferent reference formats have some what diferent commands its hard to smoothly impliment.

For the style I use \cite{my_book} puts (Lucas, 2002) and \citeasnoun{my_book} as Lucas (2002). In effect I have it the other way round for what you want.

cheers Owen

Paul Medwell wrote:
A possible solution (not necessarily the best one) is to look at the
contents of the files you downloaded...they often have a description of
the various styles available somewhere near the top. If not, without
needing to be a supergenious, you should be able to read through them
and roughly sort it out.

If you manage to find the key for the style you want, you might then
need to insert it with ERT. The style that I use gives options in the
GUI citation window (its probably called something better than that),
but unless I use an ERT, these options don't actually change the way the
citation displays - just something to bear in mind.

Hope this is of some help.

Lata,
Paul

--
"Tim J. Garrett" wrote:

Hello all.

Hoping someone can help with this.

With some kind help from Martin Vermeer, I have successfully managed to install my
favorite
journal's sty cls and bst files, combined with a .layout file previously developed.
This is all
great, and it works pretty much beautifully, except for one major thing:

My journal of choice (AGU) has two ways of putting citations in text that are
undoubtedly included
in the .bst file from their website (at least they show up in the actual
publications). For example:

Twomey [1959] gave an approximate analytical solution for.....

vs.

An approximate analytical solution exists [Twomey, 1959] that.....

Currently if I enter a citation reference using the bibtex window, only the first
format shows in
the dvi, and there is no apparent option for having a citation reference exist using
the second format.

This issue has cropped up a couple of times in this list, based on a simple search,
but I haven't
seen a solution. Is there one?

Thankyou

Tim