I downloaded the contents of the natbib directory from a CTAN mirror. Now
I would like to understand what files I have and where to put them in my
teTeX tree. Here's what I have:

README.1st  abbrvnat.bst  bibentry.ins  natbib.dtx  unsrtnat.bst
README.v71  bibentry.dtx  natbib.drv    natbib.ins  plainnat.bst

  Interestingly, the README files are not readable; they're in some sort of
binary format. So, no joy there.

  I have made the assumption that .bst means "bibliographic style" (or
something with the same intent). So, should I put them in
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/?

  What are the other files; the .dtx, .drv and .ins? Where do they come into
the picture?

TIA,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President