I usually export the finished figure to eps in xfig when using the figure
in LyX. This gives you a clean vector based file.

How does one get the same quality in a final PDF file where an xfig figure's been included? Using the pdftex option in LyX doesn't produce good output... does LyX convert the .fig to eps and then do an epstopdf?

I have LaTeX math in the xfig figure and a direct export from xfig to jpeg seems to ignore the math... I guess eps is needed so that LaTeX can process the math?

However, you can get smoother line in LyX when using .fig files
by adding -S 4 in LyX preferences -> converters: xfig->xpm.

I see a converter for xfig to ppm but not xfig to xpm... I defined xifg to xpm now but am not sure if this is going to help with the pdf file... the figure in the pdf seems the same.. so to summarize, I guess the question is how do I go from xfig to pdf w/o a loss in quality?

Thanks,
nirmal