2- Also, letters in math mode are shown in italics. How does one avoid this? For example, I want to type g m-2 d-1, with "g", "m" and "d" as normal text not in italics (and, of course, "-2" and "-1" are superscripts).

Don't know the answer to 1. since I'm on Linux.. but for 2., you need to either hit Ctrl-M while in math mode, or type \textrm (again, in math mode), and you'll see a small blue box appear into which you type in the text that should appear in regular font. You can exit this mode by hitting the right arrow and you'll be back in regular math mode.

nirmal