I am afraid that the description of the navigation list bug was not precise
enough:

the problem with the german umlauts does only occur in the table of contents
(TOC).

LyX belongs IMHO to the really great software on Linux systems as a whole. And
I use it for nearly 6 years now. But I must admit that especially since the
start of the 1.3.0 series every version seems to have a different little, but
not seldom *very* annoying problem.

In SuSEs distribution you get the feeling that the great LyX vanishes more and
more from the centre of interest (am I right), because if you do *not* know
about the existence of such a great software, you will find it only by chance
since it is not included in package selections and configurations.

It is a pity, but teh reason *could* be that the amount of IMHO avoidable
difficulties has (slightly) increased and with TeXmacs there is a promising
new software. I still believe in LyX, but I am afraid that -- apart from the
developers great work -- the release 1.4.0 should *very* well prepared and
perhaps it is better to wait some months more than release too early.

Best regards
Heiko Schroeder