EPS figures created by xfig seem to convert fine, but the ones
exported from Matlab pop up this GS> prompt... (you can bring lyx
back by typing 'quit')

I've managed to narrow the eps problem on 6.0.8-Q16 down a bit - conversion works fine on the command line without any switches, but fails in the same way with the "-depth 8" switch that's in convertDefault.sh:

convert -depth 8 eps:test.eps ppm:out.ppm

AFPL Ghostscript 8.14 (2004-02-20)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
GS>quit
AFPL Ghostscript 8.14 (2004-02-20)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
GS>quit
convert.exe: no decode delegate for this image format `test.eps'.
convert.exe: missing an image filename `ppm:out.ppm'.

I hope IM people sort this out eventually, in the meantime I'm going back to 6.0.0 or 5.5.7