Giorgio Zavarise wrote:

I have a basic experience of LyX, but now I got a problem that I am not able to solve: I have a class file "svmono.cls", and also another file "svind.ist" from a publisher. It is a style file for a book.

I tried to explore the customization manual, but without success. Is there anybody, or any place where I can get a step-by-step procedure to use this class within lyx and to create its layout? Any suggestion is welcomed

put the classfile into /usr/local/texmf/tex/latex/ and the index style file into /usr/local/texmf/makeindex/

then run texhash to update the data base.
Now copy on of the LyX layout files in
/usr/share/lyx/layouts
into ~./lyx/layouts which seems to be the best one
to support svmono.cls, e.g. article.layout. rename
the file to svmono.layout and edit the first line of the file.
Now run
/usr/share/lyx/configure

in the output there shoul be a line like

+checking for document class seminar [seminar]... yes

but for svmono.

Herbert

-- http://TeXnik.de/ http://PSTricks.de/ ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/math/voss/Voss-Mathmode.pdf http://www.dante.de/faq/de-tex-faq/ http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes