Thanks to all who responded to my requests for help to get LyX working. It's now functioning fine... but tex2lyx has problems translating my sample file so...

Having looked at Latex stuff a lot over the past few weeks as a Latex newbie, could I ask a (heretical!?) question? Why isn't LyX (or something else) a fully fledged WYSIWYG word processor? I can see the logic in how Donald Knuth designed things originally but I suspect a lot of that was guided by the fact that computers then were not capable of doing page rendering on the fly. But I don't think that restriction is true anymore. So is there any fundamental reason why Yap, say, couldn't be turned into a word processor... other then the obvious one of the effort involved? Just wondering because Latex is a significant learning curve and the tools are really rather rudimentary. WYSIWYG DTP programs exist!

Peter