>Thanks to all who responded to my requests for help to get LyX
>working. It's now functioning fine... but tex2lyx has problems
>translating my sample file so...
>
>Having looked at Latex stuff a lot over the past few weeks as a Latex
>newbie, could I ask a (heretical!?) question? Why isn't LyX (or
>something else) a fully fledged WYSIWYG word processor? I can see the
>logic in how Donald Knuth designed things originally but I suspect a
>lot of that was guided by the fact that computers then were not
>capable of doing page rendering on the fly. But I don't think that
>restriction is true anymore. So is there any fundamental reason why
>Yap, say, couldn't be turned into a word processor... other then the
>obvious one of the effort involved? Just wondering because Latex is a
>significant learning curve and the tools are really rather
>rudimentary. WYSIWYG DTP programs exist!
>
>Peter

Hello,

I think most of all concur in saying that the WYSIWYM approach has the
advantage of drawing clearly the line between thinking and writing, on
one side, and typesetting on the other.  IMO, there are two main
problems with any WYSIWYG system: first, and most important, is
precisely that it ties the two tasks (writing and designing) so
tightly, that you end up designing your document as you type it, and
thinking that threading together form and content is not just a Good
Thing, but the True Way (perhaps the Only Way); second, and no less
trivial, is that the programs implementing any WYSIWYG system have to
incorporate, in one go, the complicated algorithms making good
typography, plus the complicated algorithms making good spell checking
and hyphenation, plus the complicated algorithms making good font
rendering, including hinting, for both printing and screen display,
among many other things.  In the end, you get pretty bloated programs
eating up your hard drive, RAM memory, CPU time, and personal budget,
while tying your hands to what you get on screen, hoping nothing will
go wrong in the way to the printer... if you add that most WYSIWYG
systems in the market have their own secret/undocumented formats, you
might be end up buying potential disasters.  In my last experience with
the most (in)famous of them, the thing ended up eating all the
footnotes of my Dissertation draft.  You may guess the feeling...

I like TeX for its output; I like LaTeX for its simpler structured
document format, centered in content rather than format; and I like LyX
for hiding most of the quirks of LaTeX's syntax from me with a simple
GUI.  It is a Good Thing that LyX only understands a subset of LaTeX,
since it is easier to implement than the whole of TeX's language (I
think both TeXmacs and microIMP go wrong in trying to implement TeX's
guts right on the GUI, but I might be biased), and for any extra
requirement there is always room for some ERT; it is a Good Thing that
LyX is not committed to use TeX's fonts on screen, and relies instead
on the OS's native capabilities; and it is a Good Thing that the
background typesetting engine is TeX, which is powerful, reliable, and
free.  So, in my view, LyX fills exactly the gap between good
typesetting and easy typing.

Having said that, I think there are two things that keep most people
from trying something like LyX (or any other WYSIWYM system).  First,
some people really want to design leaflets, postcards, greeting cards,
magazines, or what not... and they mean to find something exactly like
"point and click" to do this job for them.  What they need is a CAD
program, not a word processor, and LyX was not made for them. Second,
so many people are fed with the FUD spread by some vendors or IT
people, that the very thought of trying something else than M$W*rd or
their alikes makes them tremble. Some of my colleagues get very
interested from what they see I can do with LyX/TeX (Greek, Math,
Polish and Arabic in one document, typed in plain ascii), but when they
hear I do not use W*rd, they get very anxious about being isolated from
"the rest of the world", and give up without trying.

I might be wrong on this, but it seems to me that what we might be
missing here two things to promote the spreading of LyX and/or WYSIWYM.
 First, the development of some clean interface between WYSIWYG
designing and WYSIWYM typing, perhaps something like a clean filter
back and forth between LyX and RTF/XHTML, so that those poor souls tied
to traditional word processors may not feel isolated from "the rest of
the world"; and second, perhaps giving LyX the ability to do this
filtering and other automated tasks by itself, perhaps with some
built-in scripting language (elisp from emacs, or python from
OpenOffice, come to mind).  This way LyX wouldn't rely on external
programs, like perl or python today... Right now I'm comfy with them,
plus gema and gpp, to do this stuff myself. But *sigh* it would be sooo
great...

Cheers,

Luis.

I don't have a copy of Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
I have no plans to buy one.
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint use proprietary data formats,
encouraging consumerism by forcing us to purchase new licenses
every time they "upgrade" their secret formats.
Send plain text, rich text format, html, or pdf instead.

J.L.Rivera

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs