Søren O'Neill wrote:
I appreciate your comments. I'm not that exerienced a LyX user, but must say I find the table functions very cumbersome and generally not quite sufficient. Actually I've been here before about a year ago, (needed the dynamic referencing), but abandoned it because of the table insufficiencies.

I think I might just prefer to create tables in OOo, Scribus or somewhere else and export as an image file to be included in the LyX.

I'm not slagging LyX in general and I realise, that complicated formating of tables is not really the main objective of LyX/Latex, but it certainly is the one issue that keeps popping up as a problem for me.

Soren

I've used the M$ office suite :-) as well as the Corel office suite, and of course I use LyX, so I've seen both sides. The first thing to keep in mind is that LaTeX, not LyX, produces the final document, so you will not be able to do anything with tables in LyX that LaTeX (plus whatever useful packages you can find) does not support.

The LyX interface to tables can be a bit finicky (particularly with regard to where you click inside a cell and how you convert existing text to tables), but after a bit of time descending the learning curve I'm pretty happy with it. Specific suggestions for feasible improvements can always be sent to the developers for possible inclusion in the next generation.

As far as creating tables in an office application and importing them as images, that has its limitations. The fonts used in the tables may or may not match those used in the document, layout may be slightly different, rendition of the image may be less crisp than rendition of text, and I suspect that scaling of the image to match the size of the text fonts might be slightly problematic. For some documents, you may not care about small quality glitches, but in general I'd be inclined to use LaTeX tables where possible.

Paul