[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Sorry, I can in fact see the user dir in the About menu; however,
> placing my files there didn't fix the problem. Please help!
>
>> Hi all, I'm trying to install the algorithms layout (from
>> http://bgu.chez.tiscali.fr/). I followed the instructions exactly
>> as specified in the accompanying readme.txt (my HOME is my cygwin
>> home dir so I copied all the files to under my .lyx directory
>> there, I defined TEXINPUTS to point to the packages dir, and I ran
>> Reconfigure). I still don't see any algorithm style available. The
>> readme.txt mentioned that I could find out where the user directory
>> is located by looking under Help > Version, but I see no such menu
>> option
>> (Help > About LyX doesn't specify this).  I'm using LyX 1.3.6 and
>> MikTeX. Please help!! Thanks in advance.

LyX will look for .layout files in the ${LYX_USER_SUPPORT}/layouts
directory where
     LYX_USER_SUPPORT="$HOME/.lyx"
on *nix and, I guess, Cygwin and
     LYX_USER_SUPPORT="C:/Documents and Settings/USER/Application
Data/LyX"
on Windows.

So, question 1: you're using the Cygwin executable, right?

If you install the LyX layout file correctly, you should be able to
find the thing in the Layouts->Document menu. If the LaTeX class is
not installed correctly, then the class will be marked as
"unavailable", meaning you can edit your .lyx document but you won't
be able to generate a .dvi file, etc.

Regards,
Angus