* Giorgio Zavarise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 2005-10-17 18:20 +0200:
> In trying to get a spellchecker working for LyX I had the following
> troubles
> (I AM USING LyX FOR MAC, OSX 10.3.9):
>
> ASPELL:
> istallation was ok, I activated all the dictionaries on the control
> panel, but I get the following error when using LyX:
>  "The file "/usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60/english" can not be opened for
> reading".
> Well, the folder exists, and it contains several things but not that
> file. I am suspicious that the aspell installer put these things in
> another folder like "/Library/Application Support/cocoAspell" Is there
> a way to fix the problem?

There is.

You need to install the dictionary/-ies.

1. Select aspell (not ispell) in the LyX Preferences dialog, save.

2. In Terminal.app,

  cd /Library/Application\ Support/cocoAspell/aspell6-en-6.0-0
  sudo ./configure  sudo make
  sudo make install

and repeat steps 2 and 3 likewise for each additional dictionary you
want to install.

(That's a quote from an earlier post of mine, it should really be
added to the FAQ!)

> ISPELL:
> I got a tar file which requires some knowledge to be installed. Is
> there any binary package for non-expert users (OSX)?

aspell features a compatibility mode, if you really really need it.

-Andre