On Oct 17, 2005, at 12:11 PM, Giorgio Zavarise wrote:

In trying to get a spellchecker working for LyX I had the following troubles
(I AM USING LyX FOR MAC, OSX 10.3.9):

ASPELL:
istallation was ok, I activated all the dictionaries on the control panel, but I get the following error when using LyX: "The file "/usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60/english" can not be opened for reading". Well, the folder exists, and it contains several things but not that file. I am suspicious that the aspell installer put these things in another folder like "/Library/Application Support/ cocoAspell" Is there a way to fix the problem?

ISPELL:
I got a tar file which requires some knowledge to be installed. Is there any binary package for non-expert users (OSX)?

I've frankly had little success with cocoAspell (which, apparently, is what you've used to install aspell, right?). Instead, go right to the source: aspell itself. You can download the source and dictionaries here: <http://aspell.sourceforge.net/>.

Because you're getting the source files, you'll need to compile and install them (which is the problem you've had for ispell). But it's really not hard; here's the procedure, which you'll need to do from an administrative account on your Mac.

Download and both aspell itself (<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/ aspell-0.60.3.tar.gz>) and the dictionaries you want (<ftp:// ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict>), and make sure they're decompressed. (If you don't see folders with the appopriate names, doubleclick on the .gz files (and, if that only leaves you with .tar files, on these as well) until you have the folders.) Then open Terminal.app, and do the following:

1. Type "cd " (with the space, but without the quotes, and don't hit <Return> yet). 2. Drag the folder icon for the aspell program into the Terminal window (text will appear showing the directory the folder is in), and hit <Return>. 3. Type "./configure", followed by <Return>. That will spew out some incomprehensible messages about what it's doing. 4. When that's done, type "make", followed by <Return>. Again, you'll get more output. 5. When that's done, type "sudo make install", followed by <Return>. You'll be asked for your password, and you should type it (though nothing will appear on the screen), and then hit <Return>.

You'll need to repeat steps 1-5 for each of the dictionaries you want to install. (You'll get separate folders for each.)

That's it. Now from within LyX, select Edit > Reconfigure, restart LyX when it tells you to, double check that aspell is selected from LyX > Preferences > Spellchecker, and you should be good to go.

Bennett