In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> >>Is there an easy way to redefine paragraph styles in Lyx?
> > Well, you have sort of overlooked what I think is the point of
> > LyX/LaTeX. But we'll skip that.
> The point being that authors should concentrate on content and logical
> markup, and typesetters/publishers should worry about how the final
> thing looks? Kind of (but not exactly) like the separation between HTML
> and CSS?

Yeah, except that LaTeX predates the desktop publishing experiment,
and didn't get polluted with by a phase of people trying to make it
into a desktop publishing system.

> I'm wearing my typesetting hat at the moment, so does that mean that Lyx
> isn't really suitable for me - it's more designed for content creators?

Sort of. LaTeX (which is what does the typesetting of the output)
helps typesetters make it easy for content creators to create
professional looking documents. Once you get into it, you'll find that
it's provides more control than most WP systems (at least the ones I'm
familiar with). If you're just not happy with what's available, and
want to create a new style that you'll then use for many documents,
that's pretty much normal.

On the other hand, if you're going to be tweaking the output for every
document you create, then you might be better off with something
else. For one thing, getting just the look you want is harder in LaTeX
than in a convention WP. For another, the style information isn't
stored in the document, so you wind up having to create new style
sheet for each deocument if you want to be able to recreate the ouput
later on.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          http://www.mired.org/consulting.html