_____/ On Tue 18 Oct 2005 15:47:35 BST, [Geoffrey Lloyd] wrote : \_____

----- Original Message ----- From: "Georg Baum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Sanders, Maarten (M.J.L.)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Angus Leeming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: Lyx command line question

Am Dienstag, 18. Oktober 2005 16:09 schrieb Sanders, Maarten (M.J.L.):
Georg/Angus,

From within the GUI things work fine. It is just the conversion on the
commandline that does not do the part where the gif file is converted to
some format pdflatex understands. Convert is present on my system.
This could be a bug but also be my understanding of the steps I need to
take do this from the commandline, e.g.:

$ lyx --export latex mylyxfile.lyx <--works
$ missing step?? <-- some step to convert all gifs to something pdflatex
understands

This should be done automatically by LyX.

$ pdflatex mylyxfile.tex <-- works, except for the gif

There is no missing step. commandline export should produce identical results
to GUI export.

Yes it should but you must note that Export->Pdflatex is different to Export->latex followed by running pdflatex on the file.

In the second case the only Export that Lyx is performing is Lyx->tex. This will not convert any graphics file formats.

Subsequent running of pdflatex is outside of Lyx and so it will run, find the gifs and have problems.

The only way around this is to use a pdflatex compatible image format in the first place. THe reason for this is the following:

Within Lyx when you Export->pdflatex it converts the graphics files, then does the convert to tex with the new file extensions. However if you Export->tex the output will have the gof extensions and so regardless of what you do next pdflatex will still come across gif files unless you edit the tex file.

So I recommend you use png or jpg files in the original document.

That said, I can't understand why people steer away from encapsulated
PostScript, which in most cases ought to be used as it preserves and
incorporates vectors rather than pixels. If used properly, it is also far
smaller in terms of size and results in document output that is infinitely
scalable with good zooming as required.

There are free tools that manipulate .eps files. GIMP is only one among several. Xara, for example, have released an Open Source version of their vector drawing
program /last week/:

 * http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

Geoff

Georg

PS: Please always reply to the list

I second that. I noticed a tendency to reply off-list. This leaves gaps in the
mailing list archives and puts off a subset of list subscribers. css-discuss,
on the contrary, adopted some different habits. The main question to ask is
"would the group or the World Wide Web benefit from this response or is its
scope too narrow?". For the latter, in the case of Web site critique, there
needn't be a public message available as it is site-specific or refers to
browser bugs that are soon to vanish.

My modest opinion(s)...

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
 5:45am  up 54 days 17:59,  5 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.41, 0.45