Thank you for all the contribution,

Summarized:

The latex export command line option works fine for regular latex, latex
myfile.tex generates a valid dvi file.

If you want to use pdflatex you should either:

1) edit the resulting .tex file and replace \usepackage{graphicx} with
\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}

2) run, before you run pdflatex, something like
for FILE in `find . -name '*\.gif'`; do convert $FILE `echo $FILE | sed
's/\(.*\.\)gif/\1png/'`; done

3) Do not use gif's but png's instead

Maarten