Paul,

Thanks for the reply - sorry not to get back to you sooner, I took the
weeekend off!

Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> David Wolfson wrote:
> > I tried adding \usepackage{ifsym} in the preamamble,
>
> I think you need \usepackage[geometry]{ifsym} to get \FilledTriangleUp.

> > surprised to hear that I get another error:
> > LaTeX Error: File `ifsym.sty' not found.
>
> This would suggest that ifsym is not properly installed.  Did you (a)
> install it and (b) update your TeX file database?  If so, try 'kpsewhich
> ifsym.sty' from a shell to see if the system knows where to find it.
a) not that I'm aware of! I think this is what I really need some guidance on.
Do I need to install it on the system, as part of Tex/LaTex/Lyx? Is there a
'howto' out there I should look at?

b) again, a newbie Tex breakdown....?

# kpsewhich ifsym.sty

gives no output :-|

> FWIW, I had no trouble installing ifsym (MiKTeX), and no problem
> compiling a LyX document containing \FilledTriangleUp (meaning it
> generated the DVI file), but Metafont choked trying to generate the
> necessary fonts.  It seems to think there is a syntax error in either
> ifgeo10.mf or (more likely) ifgeo.gen, which the former includes.
er - ok. I'll have to google some of the terms here, but I get the impression
you saying it worked - nearly.

Cheers,

Dave

PS off to check the local library for The LaTeX Companion, I guess I have some
reading to get up to speed....