On Dec 2, 2005, at 9:25 AM, Martin A. Hansen wrote:

once again i am being forced to hand over my almost perfect document to the boss, who wants to edit it in word. that implies a goodbye to the bibtex
references, the cross references, and my all of my good moods.

now i plan to steal his laptop (ibook running max os x) and compile lyx on
it in a hit-and-run mission.

if this is going to succeed - the compilation must be absolutely smooth!!!

so, how to go about this?

requirements:

1) lyx-1.3.6
2) change-bars patch
3) some flavor of TeX

Download the source, and follow the instructions in INSTALL.MacOSX. As the instructions indicate, you'll need to download and compile Qt first; sources for that can be found here: <ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/ qt/source/qt-mac-free-3.3.5.tar.gz>. (Note that you do not want Qt version 4; 3.3.5 is the latest that works with LyX.)

I don't have experience with the change-bars patch, so I have nothing to say here.

For TeX, I'd recommend i-Installer; <http://ii2.sourceforge.net/tex- index.html> has good information on it (scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page for the section on TeX i-Packages). Minimally install the basic TeX package, Ghostscript 8, and ImageMagick. (TeX, Ghostscript, plus the i-Installer application are bundled here: <ftp://ftp.tug.org/mirror/ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/volumes/tex/ TeX-fat.dmg>.)

Note that compilation will take hours -- especially Qt. However, you don't need to compile the Qt tutorial or examples. (I believe you can simply delete those directories -- or, better, move them aside -- before compiling; you'll get an error that stops compilation, but all you need for LyX will have been built by then.)

A final note: I have not tried compiling LyX-1.3.6 with gcc-4.0, and I don't know whether you'd encounter any problems. (I do have problems -- still unresolved -- compiling the still-being-developed lyx-1.3.7 with gcc-4.0.) To be sure things work the first time, make sure you use gcc-3.3 when compiling both Qt and LyX. ("gcc -v" in the terminal will tell you the version; if it's anything but gcc-3.3, you can change it by entering "sudo gcc_select 3.3" followed, when prompted, by your admin password.)

Bennett