A final note: I have not tried compiling LyX-1.3.6 with gcc-4.0, and I don't know whether you'd encounter any problems. (I do have problems -- still unresolved -- compiling the still-being-developed lyx-1.3.7 with gcc-4.0.) To be sure things work the first time, make sure you use gcc-3.3 when compiling both Qt and LyX. ("gcc -v" in the terminal will tell you the version; if it's anything but gcc-3.3, you can change it by entering "sudo gcc_select 3.3" followed, when prompted, by your admin password.)

Correction: I wrote this too quickly. INSTALL.MacOSX instructions say to use gcc-2, not gcc-3.3, and those instructions are correct: gcc-3.3 does not work with lyx-1.3.x. My apologies for the misinformation.

Bennett