Hello Paul,

> If I use PDFTrans to add other permissions, but do not add passwords,
> the output document (test2.pdf) has identical permissions to test.pdf.

yes, because you are not using the encryption level option nor the
master or user password option of pdftrans. If I recall correctly,
without any of those the permissions option has no effect.

> The restrictions summary seems to govern what Acrobat Reader allows.
> Even if I set a user password and allow modify-annotations (and open the
> document with the user password), I still cannot annotate it in Reader.
>
> A typical (unsuccessful) run looks like this:
>
> pdftrans --user-password abc --permissions
> modify-contents,modify-annotations,print test.pdf test2.pdf
>
> Am I doing something wrong (other than using Reader on Windows, which is
> out of my hands)?

I'm  afraid  I can't figure it out, I'm not enough of an expert on PDF
security.

I'd say you try encrypting the output pdf with the appropriate option
(can't check right now), instead of setting the user/master password,
and then list ALL permissions that pdftrans can handle after
--permissions. The permissions can be interdependent, so just try
enabling all of them.

I think Adobe Reader seems to be the culprit here. Can you try a
previous version of Acrobat and see if it helps?

--
WBR,
Andrei Popov

Using LyX 1.3.6 on Debian GNU/Linux