On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Angus Leeming wrote:

>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >> Also in "Note for users of Windows 98", how do I make the footnote?
> >> Indeed, is there a clean and elegant way to make a footnote
> >> spanning several paragraphs?
>
> > I've enabled footnotes now, see
> >     http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/Test/Footnote
> > for an illustration/example.
>
> Thanks, Christian. One more request ;-)
>
> My footnote on http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyX137pre would ideally
> have the markup:
>
> blah blah blah
> : : some quote
> blah blah blah

If we continue this way you're going to want a complete mini-page in
the footnote eventually ;-)

> However, the ": :" quoting markup appears to be disabled inside
> of footnotes. Could you enable it?

Seriously speaking though, you're approaching the limit of what's
currently feasible now. I don't think this can be enabled, pmwiki isn't
"recursive" enough.

It might be possible, but I suggest you try a hack instead. I.e. something
that sort of looks what you want. One such hack would be something like
this:

        [^Bla bla bla  \\\&nbsp; &nbsp;indented...  \\New line^]

Another way is to use 'custom markup' to introduce styling. It's possible
to use lots of different CSS stuff (<span>/<div>) but I'm not familiar
with it. Have a look here:

        http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiStyles
        http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiStyleExamples

A third solution is to simply not use footnote markup.. If you only have
one or two footnotes, you could simply use a normal link like this.

        Bla bla bla'^[[{$Name}#note1 -> 1]]^' bla bla

        :Note 1 [[#anchor1]]: Bla bla bla bla

/Christian