K. Elo wrote:

and the following is the reason why a \url in the bib file
is not needed, because the bst file does it already ...

FUNCTION {format.url}
{ url empty$
   { "" }
   { "\url{" url * "}" * }
 if$
}

Well, this is already clear to me.

I do not think so

As I mentioned, I have made the .bst file myself, so please belive me, I have an idea what it is supposed to do...;-)

And why did you forget to load the url package? It is only done
by LyX if you have an url command inside the document.

(I'm really not a newbie with .bst files).

To sum up: I don't see the point of using url={\url...} in a bibtex entry,

there is _no_ point, as I already mentioned, depending to
your bst-file.

if a) the .bst file does the formatting for you and b) if there are no other benefits
>(e.g. the underscore problem is not solved)... Or do I miss a benefit?

yes,
\url is only valid with a \usepackage{url} that's all.

Herbert