Hi,
I have this .cls file that defines the figure captions to start with "Fig." instead of "Figure". Running the file using LaTeX, the output is correct, but when using LyX, the full word is used instead of the abbreviation.

This behaviour occurs since the latex output generated by LyX is slightly different from the original LaTeX file. "LyX writes \documentclass[onesided,english]{ifacmtg} where the original sample contains just \documentclass{ifacmtg}". (Quoting Paul Rubin. Many thanks!) It seems the additional language option triggers the use of the full word instead of the abbreviation.

One could export to latex, edit that file and then run latex. But it would be nice not have to do that. So...
1. Is there away to avoid adding the options? ([onesided,english])
2. Why do these options force the use of the full word instead of the abbreviation? 3. Are there any other ways to change the figure caption from "Figure" to "Fig."? (preferrably without having to edit the .cls file.)

/johan

(This thread was previously "Class files on Mac: Cannot really use the .cls file." But we kind of went of on a tanget... This issue occurs on both linux and mac.)