Kevin Pfeiffer writes:
> > > Look at "\framebox" and the picture env. for more info.

The attached LyX file is my meagre attempt to offer a better example.

-Kevin

--
Kevin Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tiros-Translations
#LyX 1.3 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 221
\textclass article
\language ngerman
\inputencoding auto
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 0
\use_natbib 0
\use_numerical_citations 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation skip
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Standard
\added_space_bottom bigskip \align center

\series bold
\size larger

\begin_inset ERT
status Collapsed

\layout Standard

\backslash
framebox{The Framebox}
\end_inset

\layout Standard

First create a picture environment.
 The default
\backslash
unitlength is 1pt, so the picture environment below was created to be 72
 x 72 points in size.
 The 0,0 origin places it on the baseline following the last character typeset.
 Then with the
\backslash
frame command a border is drawn around it.
 Inside the picture environment a
\backslash
put command adds a
\backslash
framebox slightly smaller than the picture environment.
 Inside this is another
\backslash
framebox, 16 x 16 points in size.
 The (28,28) origin (i.e.
 72/2 - 16/2) of this second
\backslash
put command, translates (shifts) the origin of our smaller box from the
 lower-left corner of the picture environment to its center; and \SpecialChar \ldots{}

\layout Standard

finally an x marks the spot:
\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
frame{
\layout Standard

\backslash
begin{picture}(72,72)(0,0)
\layout Standard

\backslash
linethickness{0.1pt}
\layout Standard

\backslash
put(2,2){
\backslash
framebox(68,68)[]{}}
\layout Standard

\backslash
linethickness{2pt}
\layout Standard

\backslash
put(28,28){
\backslash
framebox(16,16)[]{x}}
\layout Standard

\backslash
end{picture}%
\layout Standard
      }
\end_inset

 That's all.
 The
\backslash
linethickness command can also be used.
 Zoom in on the dvi output (or print the page) to see the difference.
\layout Standard

\begin_inset ERT
status Open

\layout Standard

\backslash
setlength{
\backslash
unitlength}{1em}%
\end_inset

\layout Standard

A further option would be to change the
\backslash
unitlength to something other than points.
 Here the
\backslash
unitlength has been changed to 1 em
\begin_inset ERT