Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:
Hi,

(thanks for your always quick and helpful answers BTW)

Herbert Voss writes:

Kevin Pfeiffer wrote:

I must say that I am somewhat disappointed at the lack of kerning
of letter combinations such as "-W" in the word "non-Western". This
is using the standard CM font. To get the hyphen to appear visually
balanced in "non-Western" I am having to add -0.1em kerning between
it and the W.

I also see this problem in "mid-1920s", for example.

non--Western

Herbert

This kerns better it seems, but it is an en-dash, not a hyphen. In the humanities and social sciences, at least, hyphens are used for compound word (with a few exceptions). :-(

The en dash (–) is used to indicate a range of just about anything with numbers, including dates, numbers, game scores, and pages in any sort of document.

[ ... ]

The Chicago Manual of style also states that it should be used “Where one of the components of a compound adjective contains more than one word,” instead of a hyphen (as in “Netscape 6.1 is an Open Source–based browser”). Both of these rules are for clarity in indicating exactly what is being modified by the compound.

Herbert