On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 23:34:17 -0800
"Marc D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have created a rather large lyx file (all my course notes). In one
> section, I can't get it to work. I have reduced the problem to a
> minimum. There are 3 characters on my screen, in two lines.
>
> I get SIX errors with those 3 characters.
>
> Answer: it's the \textmf that causes ALL six errors.

You mean \textrm

(and all 35
> errors in my original file). All from a a single, obviously
> misplaced, \textmf tag that I DID NOT INSERT (or knowingly insert. I
> don't USE different fonts in my document!)

Well, the thing is, in order to typeset the 2^Q, you should use math-mode --
which you seemed to have done.  However, _within_ math mode, if you go into
math-mode _again_, LyX treats it as text-within-a-formula  -- an inset of a
text box within the formula inset.  You may have done that inadvertantly, or
you may be trying to get the 2^Q to display without the Q being italicized.
At any rate, TeX then thinks you are trying a math layout inside a text
region, and will get confused.

If you just hit the math-mode menu item a second time, then don't do that.
If you want to avoid the italicized Q, then, ... , there is a way.  Go into
math-mode.  Type the 2, then type ^ to get in the superscript.  Then toggle
math-mode again, inside the superscript box, and type your Q.

> Questions:
> What key sequence would have inserted \textmf when ANY occurence of
> such text causes so many errors?

It's the double entry into math-mode, which gets you a text box within a
math box, that was the problem.

> Why doesn't LyX do the right thing when converting said text to LaTeX?

Because it thinks it isn't supposed to do that.

> Why, when I erased the entire paragraph containing this string and
> retyped it, did the textmf string REAPPEAR in exactly the same
> place??

Because you typed it in the same way.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
 _`\(,_  | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson