Am Samstag, 4. Februar 2006 17:58 schrieb Rich Shepard:
>    A document requires screen shots as illustrations. I've used The GIMP
> capture the window, scaled the result to 100 pixels/inch resolution, and
> size of 4 inches wide. Then it's saved as a .png file. The document will
> almost certainly be printed by readers on a laser or color inkjet
printer.

I would not scale the image. The dimensions of the screenshot in inch
don't matter at all, what matters is the number of pixels, and that is
predetermined by the window you want to capture. You can do the final
scaling in LyX, this is often preferable, because you scale to 100%  text
width or some other document related size.
When I do screenshots, I simply save the resulting file as png. Sometimes
I crop unnessecary borders away, but more manipulations are normally not
needed.

>    I'm seeking comments on whether there is a better way to represent
these
> images. That is, should the resolution be higher? Is a different file
format
> a better choice?

PNG is a good file format for this task: it is a bitmap format, and has
lossless compression that works well for typical screen contents. It will
be included without conversion in the resulting pdf with pdflatex, and it
can be easily converted to eps by LyX if you use latex with postscript
output. JPEG would  also be an alternative, but only if you have file
size probelms, since it compresses lossy. There are a lot of commercial
software manuals with JPEG screenshots, but that looks ugly.

> They are raster images to begin with, so conversion to a
> vector format such as .eps will almost certainly result in resolution
loss.

I don't think so. EPS can contain vector and bitmap data, with a good
converter the result will be equivalent to the original image (but
typically require more storage on disk).

Georg