On Saturday 08 April 2006 07:19, Paul Johnson wrote:

  Hi Paul,
        same week, different mailing list. ;-)

> I built lyx from CVS (on Fedora Core 5) because I wanted to use
> quotation marks in ERT (a bug in 1.4.0), and I find that problem is
> solved.  This version of lyx runs fine.

  There is an error in the above, it is svn not cvs. FWIW I made that same
mistake several times this week so I am speaking from experience. :-)

> Thanks very much.

  You are welcome. :-)

> Ihave not seen major bugs in this CVS version.  But they may hide from
> me.  I would feel more confident about using this version if somebody
> who is familiar with CVS would tell me "don't worry, we are not in the
> middle of some major code changes and there are no known huge
> problems, as of yesterday."  For that matter, I wish that somebody who
> works in this would either make snapshots at the safer moments, or
> perhaps put in cvs  tags at safe times and announce the tags.

  Well, we do that. Those are called 1.4.1, 1.4.2, ...

  I am not joking. :-)

  Right now we are working in two different branches, basically what will
become 1.5.0 (trunk) and 1.4.x (what soon will become 1.4.1, and then 1.4.2
and so on).

  Our purpose is that 1.4.x branch will be always stable. So that is in a
sense what you are looking for.

  The instructions to use svn are here:
http://www.lyx.org/devel/cvs.php

  (I know we did not change the name so it is confusing) :-)

  The relevant part is:
The main development in LyX is done in SVN branches, this is done to ensure
the stability of the main branch (HEAD). If you are interested in helping
develop or test work on these branches, you can check out a copy with a
command like
svn co svn://svn.lyx.org/lyx/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_1_4_X lyx-1.4.x

  This is how to get the stable branch. We expect this code to be stable all
the time (we make mistakes as well). As trust this code. In your case, since
you had problems with some bugs in 1.4.0 this is the place to search.

  For the devel version the only moment when we put tags there is when we are
approaching a stable release. Usually those are called pre1, pre2, ...

  Other than that I don't advise any user to use the development branch unless
he is interested in testing and/or coding new features. This kind of
commitment is always welcome but then the right forum to discuss this is
lyx-devel.

  I hope this answers what you were asking.

--
José Abílio