>>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:28:29 +0200
>>From: "Martin A. Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: "Jean-Pierre Chretien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: Re: poor resolution for svg
>>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], lyx-users@lists.lyx.org, [EMAIL
>>PROTECTED]
>>
>>a word of caution!
>>

>>inkscape does a poor job converting to eps and pdf. inkscape developers are
>>well aware of this and they are contemplating hiring a programmer to do a
>>svg->ps library.
>>
>>among the problems are scaling, cropping, and clippaths which results in bad
>>output. if you donnot use these features, you might be lucky getting a
>>correct ps output, but i would not recomment it for now.
>>
>>inkscape does nice pngs though.

This is enough for pdflatex compilation.

You may use then convert for eps, for plain latex compilation.

I mentioned in a previous mail that conversion to eps looses the transparency,
this
is true when I display the graphic, but I can't see any difference in
the pdf results when I insert it in LyX and compile either with pdflatex (png)
or with latex (eps).

I think I mentioned that the png command line export was cropped , that is not
true, sorry
the full page is exported (you may restrict export to the selection from the
GUI).

Here is a short perl script which calculates the bbox from requests to inkscape
I wonder if there is a more elegant way:

->cat svg2png
#!/usr/bin/perl

use File::Basename;

($name,$path,$suffix) = fileparse($ARGV[0],('\.svg'));

$file=$name.$suffix;
$x0=`inkscape --query-x $file`; chop($x0);
$y0=`inkscape --query-y $file`; chop($y0);
$w=`inkscape --query-width $file`; chop($w);
$h=`inkscape --query-height $file`; chop($h);
$x1=$x0+$w;
$y1=$y0+$h;

`inkscape --export-area=$x0:$y0:$x1:$y1 -e "$name.png" $file`;

exit;

This would be better written in bash or csh of course.

Then the converter in LyX  would be svg2png $$i, one svg is declared in the
known formats.

HTH

--
Jean-Pierre