I have the same exact problem, also on Mac OS 10.4.6--upgrading from 1.3x to 1.4 broke image support. I used JPEG images, and LyX says it cannot find a converter.

Reconfiguring LyX didn't fix it.

What is the converter for JPEG images, just so I can manually define it in Preferences>Converters? And should LyX maybe define one by default, since it used to work in LyX 1.3.7? Thanks,

Maria