hello jeremy

i agree with you on your observations.

i find lyx a very nice editor for formatting documents, however, i also have
this feeling that most of my time is spend on the steep learning slopes of
latex (which is because all the lyx things are fast and easy!).

in my humble oppinion, latex is complicated - perhaps too complicated and
clearly the time robber for all of us?!?

so i would like to add to your post some questions about considering
alternatives to latex as layout engine. would it be possible (and feasible)
to integrate tex commands with lyx circumnavigating latex? what other
alternatives are there? xhtml and css may generate hi-end typographic
output, yes? (i guess that is why google bought writely ...).

- finally a constructive suggestion. how about a bibliographic tool within
lyx to replace makebst with some WYSIWYG ?

sincerely,

martin