>> If you ever upgrade to 1.4, you will find that the display is
>> significantly slower with qt (for a reason we do not really
>> understand). The old xforms version is still ugly, but snappy.

Steve> Do I need to recompile to switch to Xforms?

Yes, unless you can find it precompiled for your platform.

In 1.3, when you configure without any special option, you do get the
xforms version. To get the qt version, you need to use the switch
--with-frontend=qt. I do not think you will find that the xforms
frontend is better in 1.3.

In 1.4, it is required to specify which frontend you want (xforms, qt,
or the unofficial gtk). You can even specify several frontends, like
--with-frontend='qt xforms'. Xforms will feel snappier, in particular
when scrolling or selecting text. But of course it is ugly (in
particular the fonts are not antialiased on screen).

JMarc