Steve Harris wrote:

I researched and found a few reports complaining about not
being able to close cmd.exe with alt-f4. I found no report
of being able to close cmd.exe shell with alt-f4. I think
Paul has a very talented machine.

Boy, you sure wouldn't know it from its general performance!  :-)

I don't think it is meant
or built to close under native Windows, so use "exit" <return>
if you don't want to use the mouse.

Back in the Windows 9x era, I'm pretty sure that a command window was designed not to be too easily killed (presumably lest one lose work, possibly lest one leave an orphan process around), so I would not be surprised if alt-F4 did not kill it. If you clicked the X (close) box in the upper right, you got a stern warning that something dire might happen if you really closed it that way. I haven't seen that warning in XP Pro, and if you can kill the shell with the X box, no reason why alt-F4 shouldn't do so as well.

/Paul