The LaTeX command is \sc (small caps); not every typeface has this font
defined. What is the text font in your document?

In the preamble, I have \usepackage[osf]{mathpazo}, so \noun produces real Palatino small caps locally (for me), but not for them. On the other hand, a previous tex file I uploaded had \usepackage{mathpazo} in the preamble (no osf), and the pdf they built from that file at least had the italic text in the correct places. I would think, even if their typeface has no true small caps, that \noun would produce fake small caps. And certainly \emph should produce italic, in general. Do I really have to go through the tex file and replace\emph with \it and \noun with \sc?

Bruce