David Halpern wrote:
Hi,
I have installed Lyx 1.4.2 on my pc running windows xp. During the
installation process aspell 0.6 was also installed because I didn't have it.
How can I use aspell outside lyx? I cannot find the executable anywhere on
my pc but aspell works within lyx. I would like to be able to use aspell in
xemacs and also from the command line. How can I do this without installing
the stand-alone aspell? If I do install the latter will it conflict with the
one that gets installed by lyx 1.4.2 setup program?
Any helps in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

David Halpern

I'm not sure that you got the Aspell executables. LyX has Aspell support built in, and just needs some library files (which the LyX developers have packaged for us). Back when I was on LyX 1.3.x, I installed Aspell 0.5. When I upgraded to LyX 1.4.1, and then 1.4.2, I had to install pieces of Aspell 0.6, but I'm pretty sure the only executable I have is the 0.5 one, which implies that LyX 1.4.2 doesn't need (an probably doesn't install) the full Aspell executable.

If you have the full installation, there should be an Aspell directory somewhere. It used to be mandatory that it be C:\Aspell, but I think now it can be anywhere, so check c:\Program Files if you don't find it under the root. If you find it, look in the bin subdirectory for aspell.exe. If it's there, that's what you run (from a command prompt). If you can't find it, chances are you don't have it. You can download it from the official Aspell site (which I inconveniently forget just now).

/Paul