Florian Kamm wrote:

Well, I followed your suggestions and it seems that LyX hangs while pdflatex is scanning the .aux file (which contains the correct information if I open it manually). For debugging reasons I deleted the bibliography stuff, but the problem still exists. If I stop the scanning by pressing Ctrl-C the pdf generation will succeed. Is it possible that the problems are caused by my - possibly buggy - cls style file?

You said that if you use File->Export->LaTeX and then run pdflatex manually, the document compiles correctly (nothing hangs), right? If so, then it shouldn't be the class file, because the same class file is being used in the manual run. If I'm wrong about exporting to LaTeX working, then that suggests either the class file or the document itself has something funny in it.

If pdflatex is hanging while scanning the auxiliary file, it could be that the file is terminated incorrectly (so that pdflatex is waiting for more input), or it could be that something has a lock on the file (and pdflatex is waiting to begin reading it).

Do you have labels and cross-references in the document? IIRC, the .aux file is also used for cross-references, not just citations. I'm not sure what one could do with a cross-reference that would cause pdflatex to hang -- missing labels would not cause that -- but perhaps if a label contains a non-latin character it might cause a problem. (I'm groping in a very dark place here.)

/Paul