Chris Lale wrote:
Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:
Chris Lale wrote:
Is there any way to force LyX to treat the url as an ordinary long word
that cannot be split with a hyphen?

You are aware of Insert->URL?

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a pretty good solution. Unfortunately, the url or pathname is split between lines. So I get:

http://tuxmobil.
org/pcmcia_linux.html

and

/etc/network/
interfaces

But, they are splitting intelligently.

Chris.

You might want to take a look at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.general/32114/focus=32119 and at the documentation at the end of the url.sty file. There are also some LaTeX settings (sorry, don't recall them offhand) for convincing LaTeX to be more or less anal about paragraph boundaries. Part of your problem is that LaTeX does not automatically assume (I think) that an unbreakable word at the end of an overlong line gets wrapped to the next line -- it chooses between wrapping to the next line or violating the right margin based on some rules for evaluating which is worse. Picture a very long URL that would go one or two characters into the right margin; wrapping it to the next line produces an extremely short preceding line. There's a way to make LaTeX more reluctant to go into the margin (and therefore less finicky about short lines), but that's the setting I'm forgetting.

HTH,
/Paul

/Paul