Bob Lounsbury wrote:
>>> I'm using 1.4.3 on mac and my question is. Where should custom bst
>>> files be placed
>> I usually place mine in a folder like
>> %localtexmf%/bibtex/bst/journal_of_whatever.
>>> and then what should be done so that they are recognized by LyX
>>> (besides a Tools > Reconfigure)?
>> You need to refresh the file name database in your LaTeX
>> installation. The precise mechanics seem to depend on your
>> distribution, but it usually reduces to running a command like
>> texhash (unless you've got an icon that points to the right command,
>> which is distinctly possible). Sorry I can't be more specific, but
>> I'm not a Mac user.
>
> Thanks for the reply. I had placed the bst file in my localtexmf
> folder and ran texhash with this result:
>
> [bobl-mac:~] bobl% texhash
> texhash: Updating /sw/etc/texmf-config/ls-R...
> texhash: /sw/share/texmf/ls-R: no write permission. Skipping...
> texhash: /sw/share/texmf-dist/ls-R: no write permission. Skipping...
> texhash: /sw/share/texmf-local/ls-R: no write permission. Skipping...
> texhash: Updating /sw/var/lib/texmf/ls-R...
> texhash: Done.
> [bobl-mac:~] bobl%
>
> It seems that I have no write permission to three folders. Seeing this
> I went to every folder and ensured read & write access, but I still
> get the same result so I assume this is why LyX is not finding the bst
> file.
This is normal. The directories to which you don't have write permission
are the SYSTEM directories, and you should change them back to the
permissions they were before. If you add things to those directories,
you will have to do so as root. And you then run texhash as root, too.

Run
#kpsepath bst
to see where LaTeX expects to find your bst files. One of these will be
in your home directory, but the user TeX directory tree usually does not
exist by default. You will have to create it. Note that you need to
mirror the entire structure of the main tree: So bst files will go, say,
in ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/; and if you write some LaTeX packages,
they need to go under ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/. But, again, kpsepath
will tell you exactly where to put them. Run
#kpsepath tex
to get that info.

Richard