Gmane User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well, I didn't have a chance to repeat the attempt on the original computer
> on which the problems was
> observed.  However, I tried it on another computer, with the same apparent
> problem (Lyx goes away,
> consumes much CPU, and "never" comes back).  I never did the debug step
> because View->pdflatex *does* come
> back after half an hour (not sure how much after, but probably no more than
> an hour after it started).
>
> The long time for the conversion might be a function of the file.  It was
> the Help->Tutorial file that caused
> such a long conversion.  If I open a blank new Lyx file and type a few
> words, the conversion takes trivial
> amount of time.  The View->Update also works.
>
> I tried the View->Update on the long-converting Tutorial file.  It still
> takes a long time.  How long...not
> sure, it's still running.

This is really weird. However, do you mean that after almost an hour
a perfectly working pdf file is produced? Or are there problems with
fonts?

> The temporary files seem to be located in
> /tmp/lyx_tmpdir1724fSfEOO/lyx_tmpbufXX, where XX is 0, 1, 2,
> ... .  If the PDF file is still opened in acrobat viewer, the update
> cannot complete because the file is
> locked (this is in a windows environment, even though cygwin makes it
> look like unix).

Yes, this is a known problem with the acrobat reader. This also happens
on linux where the update of the pdf file succeeds, but acroread doesn't
update its view and must be closed and restarted. On windows you have
to close the acrobat reader before updating the pdf file, but the net
result is not much different. On the wiki you can find some workarounds
for this problem.

--
Enrico