Hi list,
on my IBM Lenove T60 i'm running lyx-1.4.2 under KDE-3.5.5.
LyX was generated using the gentoo lyx-1.4.2.ebuild with the flags
USE="X cjk cups gnome gtk nls qt3"

The system is configured such that i can produce special letters like
 € å ç é è ê ñ
and so on.
This works in most applications (e.g. thunderbird, konsole, vim)
LyX does not show these special letters.

I have read the Customiziation Guide and e.g. tried to bind '^' to
'accent-circumflex' as described there or to define some thing in a
personal hw_cua.bind file. Unfortunately without success.

So i send all information i have hoping that somebody can give me a clue.

The relevant settings (as far as i understand) of my system resp. lyx are:

System:
-------

* The command 'locale' shows for all bash-vars LC_*: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* /etc/rc.conf contains the lines:
UNICODE="no"
LANG="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
LANGUAGE="49"
LC_ALL="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard"

* /etc/conf.d/consolefont contains a line:
CONSOLEFONT=lat0-16

* /etc/conf.d/keymaps contains the lines
KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
SET_WINDOWKEYS="yes"
EXTENDED_KEYMAPS="backspace keypad euro"

* Control center:
>>Internationalization & access control >keyboard layout:
(German. Regionalisierung & Zugangshilfen)
Generic 105 keys-(INtl)-PC

* ~/.xmodmap was generated with xkeycaps with the settings:
PC; 105 key, wide Delete, tall Enter; (XFree86; German)
I changed the line:
! add Lock = Caps_Lock
I added the line:
keycode 66  = Multi_Key (xev: key code 66 produced by the Caps_Lock key)

This makes Caps-Lock my compose key (for å ç ¥ and friends)

Lyx:
----

For this test i deleted lyx completely and merged it anew with the
settings mentioned above.
I also deleted the directory ~/.lyx such that the first call of lyx
created this directory, after that i configured lyx via 'settings' in
the tools menu and ran 'reconfigure'.

With this 'generic' setting of LyX i can produce some of the special
characters i need, but some do not work.

I attach as an bzip2 archive the lyx output of the first call, of the
reconfigure run and of my tests with ´lyx -dbg key' as well as the
generated *.lyx file and the from that exported *.pdf file

The following lines show how the special chars were generated.

aaa '~' with '<AltGr>+<+*~-key> blank' (as it is supposed to work)
    or '<AltGr>+<+*~-key> <AltGr>+<+*~-key>'
bbb '\' with '<AltGr>+<?ß\-key>'
ccc '|' with '<AltGr>+<>>|-key>'
ddd '@' with '<AltGr>+<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
eee <should contain the € symbol>
fff '^' with '^ ^' or '^ blank'
ggg '´' with '´ blank'
hhh '`' with '` `' or '` blank'
iii <should contain the ä = Umlaut a (adiaresis)>
jjj <should contain the ö = Umlaut o (odiaresis)>
kkk <should contain the ü = Umlaut u (udiaresis)>
lll <should contain the ß (german scharfes S)>

Can anyone, please tell me what i can do to produce the missing symbols.
Since i have to write italian and french documents (besides my german
stuff) i really do need these symbols.

Thanks in advance

Hellmut

--
Dr. Hellmut Weber
Degenfeldstraße 2, D - 80803 München-Schwabing