On Dec 7, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Bennett Helm wrote:

On Dec 7, 2006, at 6:49 PM, Stefano Franchi wrote:

It has never worked for me either (Bennett, you may remember we discussed this issue some time ago). I am on MacOs 10.3.9, and have been using LyX since 1.3.5 or .6, I think. Never got the accents. Notice that the accents work in the Qt dialogs and in the mini-buffer--they don't work in the main editing window. I seem to remember one developer explaining to me that that's because LyX does additional processing on the latter case. Apparently that's what screws up the Mac "insert-key" accents. The single-key accents work fine: å, ºª•¶§∞¢ etc.

I have come to rely on the mini-buffer method: mini-buffer, a, tab, select accent with arrow, enter, letter, enter. Cumbersome, but better than having ERT every other words (as when typing French)

Yes, I remember. You could always switch to the Dvorak keyboard! ;)

The good news is that this is not a problem in developmental builds of LyX 1.5.0. The bad news is that it won't be out for a while.

Bennett

After Bennet mentioned that it works for the Dvorak keyboard layout, I tried several others and found that they work: e.g., if you want something like the US layout, you might want to switch to the British layout in the Mac's preferences - with that I have no problems entering accents and umlauts. The nice thing is that you can tell the Mac specifically to use British (e.g.) layout only in LyX, and use your standard layout (e.g., US) everywhere else.

Before I became aware of this, I had defined two key map files in LyX, one of which had the accents bound to single key strokes. Then whenever I needed an accent, I switched to that second key map (with a shortcut key, of course), inserted the accented character, and switched back to the primary key map... kind of an ugly hack, so I'm glad Bennett led us to a different workaround.

Jens