On 12/27/06, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Something that is really missing now is code to be able to replace
missing glyphs with the corresponding LaTeX macro.

Isn't that what the UCS package is for? Can anyone figure that out?

Stacia> Hi everyone thanks for your replies. It seems that I have
Stacia> misunderstood the unicode direction for LyX 1.5.0 - can I ask
Stacia> in all honesty and with no disrespect meant - what is the
Stacia> point of going through all this trouble to make LyX unicode
Stacia> compatible if it well, doesn't work with the majority of
Stacia> unicode text?

The problem we had with our previous 8bit-based document model was
that we had to hope that the user had entered its characters in an
encoding which was the same as the one used by LaTeX. While this
definitely allowed for nice hacks, it was not a very reasonable
situation.

A first step in the unicode transition is to support properly the
encodings we used to support, that is basically european encodings. We
should now be able to mix these in a document and obtain proper
output.

A second goal would be to integrate the cjk-lyx port and get proper
support for cjk. This should not be too difficult since the code
exists.

I understand that this new code is a step back for knowledgeable
people who created some neat hacks. Hopefully, we will be able to
replace that with working code.

Something that is really missing now is code to be able to replace
missing glyphs with the corresponding LaTeX macro.

JMarc