Bruce Pourciau wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2007, at 9:19 AM, John Hughes wrote:
>> Is there a way of making the section (and subsection etc.) numbers
>> appear in the left margin, so that the text of the section headings
>> themselves are lined up with the left margin?
> I have the same question, but concerning the numbers 1, 2, 3, ... in
> an enumerate environment.
The labels are set using \labelenumi, \labelenumii, \labelenumiii, and
\labelenumiv, depending on the depth. These can be \renewcommand'ed as
you wish. See also the varioref package's \labelformat command.

I don't know whether enumerate can be modified the way arbitrary lists
can be, i.e., whether \labelsep and the like exist for this environment.
(See http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/latex/ltx-260.html.)* *But one could
try it and find out.

Richard Heck

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://bobjweil.com/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto