--- killermike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was considering switching to OpenOffice because
> of the excessive effort in
> > creating/modifying styles in LyX.
> >
> > So as an experiment, I began making a derivative,
> in OpenOffice, of a book I
> > originally wrote using MS Word.
> >
> > WHAT A MESS! Styles I created in OpenOffice
> wouldn't stay created. If they
> > stayed created, they'd magically change properties
> from time to time. Numbers
> > kept changing to bullets and vice versa. I'm
> scared I'll be fine tuning this
> > document every time it's edited in any way, or
> even printed. I will NEVER
> > AGAIN write a book in OpenOffice.
> >
> I must admit that although I'm not a fan of the
> 'OO/Word is for morons'
> style of promoting Lyx use,
> I did have similar problems when I started my book
> project in OO 1.9.

IIRC OOo 1.9.x was not a production version and was
buggey especially with headings.

OOo is up to 2.1 and overall seems pretty stable.

> Styles and bullets just wouldn't stay set. I don't
> know to what extent
> things have improved since then. I'm left wondering
> how these people who
> claimed that they used that version of OO for
> serious work actually got
> anything done.

Beats me but there are quite a few books out there
done with OOo including the collaboratively written
OOo documentation based on a well constructed template
and well defined styles.

> It proved to be quite a problem because, after OO, I
> tried Koffice Word
> which had some font kerning problems  that made it
> unusable for me. I
> should add that other people claimed that they could
> still use it. The
> versions of Abiword that I tried were also had bugs
> surrounding the styles.
>
> In the end, it was probably all for the best as it
> led me to discover
> Lyx and now that I've learnt Lyx I prefer this way
> of working.
>
> Bit of a problem for Linux as a platform that I was
> unable to install a
> fully working standard word processor though.

Time to give OOo another try. I note that you are a
Linex user.  A serious problem seems to be that
various distros tend to tweak OOo to their
preferences.  Recently there seems to have been a wave
of problems with the Ubuntu issue of OOo.  It is
always (almost anyway) safer to download OOo from the
official OOo site.