Philipp Fleig wrote:

> So just to get this right. What I include in LyX via Insert->File-
>  >External material is the original Xfig file .fig and not
> some .latex file which I exported in Xfig!?

Exactly.

> Now, when I do this and include the .fig file in my document and then
> try to run pdflatex I get an error saying 'Empty output file was
> created'.
> Also, if I tick 'Show in LyX' when I  include the .fig file, the
> figure does not show up.

That looks like a problem with your xfig file. Or you are missing some
converters. If you look in the preferences, is there a converter defined
from xfig to png?

> What am I doing wrong? Probably it is something really simple which I
> should know myself...Sorry I'm a beginner.

If you send a minimal example .lyx file + xfig file that shows the problem
it will be easy to find out what is going wrong.

Georg